Lauren's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Jun 23, 2009

liked it
Read in June, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'm not sure what to say about this book. It dragged and dragged and dragged. Once I heard that a movie version was coming out- I committed to finishing it. And then I got sucked in. Miscarriage after miscarriage and Henry's ultimate demise. I can admit it-- I boo-hoo'd like a baby. What I cannot wrap my head around is Claire sleeping with Gomez after... if you can even call it that. I mean really? He answers the door in a towel? And what about Charisse? I can try to understand being so consumed with grief that you have sex with a complete random and pretend it's your dead, time traveling husband, but your bff's husband? Who has been in love with you for 20+ years??? REALLY?? Who you had a drunk one night stand with a million years ago and only recently admitted to your husband? It just really made me feel sorry for Claire and regret that Henry was that strong of an influence on her life. I mean the girl never stood a chance and in the end it made her a pathetic, weak woman without a moral compass. If Henry hadn't been in her life from such a young age and shaped her unrecognizably, would she have even noticed him all those years later?

And then, when she's 80 and lived more years without Henry than with him- he reappears. WHY DID HE TELL HER THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!??!?! He ruined it. It was like he peed on her for all eternity. Instead of moving on, growing stronger, and creating a new life of her own- she waited. Pathetic. And extremely selfish of Henry to do so.

All in all the book is still under my skin and I finished it four days ago. For me, that makes it a worthwhile read- even if I don't respect the main character.
1 like · flag

04/21/2009 page 278
52.65% "I'm enjoying this book but it has hit a rut and the time traveling is wearing thin."

message 1: by Tara (last edited Jun 23, 2009 08:34PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tara I agree with your review too. The Gomez thing was despicable, and I hated that she spent the rest of her pathetic life waiting to see Henry again instead of living a real life of her own. I also wondered what becomes of Alba when she pops up in various places and times stark naked. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.