Christina's Reviews > Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever

Swish by Joel Derfner

Jan 23, 09

Read in January, 2009

There was so much I liked about this book. I think Joel Derfner is one of the most endearing, relatable autobiographical writers I've ever read. I loved his blend of humor, neuroticism and insecurity. He's very smart, accomplished, and witty and yet also self-deprecating, and he draws some interesting connections between seemingly seperate aspects of his life.
I chuckled LOTS while reading this, but it's not all fun and games- there's a lot of seriousness, a little self-pity, and even melancholy. There were a few things that bugged me- the occasional descent into sentimentality (the last page of "On Camp Camp" in particular) and his pretentious spelling of "Hallowe'en" several times.
I liked this book, but it's not for everyone. This could maybe go without saying, but it's really not for anybody who is the least bit squeamish about gay sex.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joel Derfner Hey, I'm glad you (mostly) liked my book when you read it lo these many years ago. I have a new one out that you might enjoy too. It's called Lawfully Wedded Husband: How My Gay Marriage Will Save the American Family. If you do end up reading it, I'd love to know what you think. I THINK I avoid sentiment, but I'm POSITIVE that I never mention the holiday that falls on the last day of October, so you're okay on that score.

Christina Well hey! Author comment! I feel so special! I would love to read your new book; I just added it to my wishlist.

And you know, Swish is one of those books that I liked even better in hindsight. If I hadn't recorded the thoughts about sentiment and that holiday I would have completely forgotten them.

Joel Derfner Well, to be fair, my spelling of the holiday IS pretentious (though that hasn't made me change it, pretension being my stock in trade). And you weren't the only one who found parts of the book overly sentimental.

But I'm glad you'll be reading the new one!