Barbara's Reviews > The Well of Ascension

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

203163
Feb 08, 09

Read in February, 2009

I just finished it and am writing while the impact of its ending echoes in my head, like credits rolling at the end of a great film.

It has been said that the middle book of a trilogy is the dark one... where the plot thickens and things are left "up in the air", awaiting the final resolution at the end.

This book lives up to that promise... as one gets swept up in the ongoing saga of the Mistborn. More is revealed about various characters and creatures introduced in the first book, Mistborn: The Final Empire.

What is happening with the crew that overthrew the emperor in the first book? The tale picks up a year after the first book ends. As happens in real life histories, revolutions don't solve the problems of the world all at once. They may change the course of history, but individual lives can be made more difficult by them.

Newly crowned king Elend tries to implement his idealistic political philosophies and finds the realities of seasoned politicians and greedy merchants and even members of the hardened underclass staring him in the face.

Vin continues to struggle to find out just who she is and what her purpose in the grand scheme of things should be. Sazed finds a changed role after the fall of the empire. New characters are introduced, and we learn more of the nature of kandra and the koloss. In compelling style, Brandon Sanderson reveals just what he desires to reveal, keeping one turning page after page, drawn on by the drumbeat of allomantic pulses, along with Vin.

And in the end? I cannot wait to get my hands on the third book, The Hero of Ages .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Ascension.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren OOOOH, spoilers for the first book!!! I'm blind, I'm blind!!!

Oh well, guess I coulda seen it coming.

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Feb 10, 2009 03:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara Lauren wrote: "OOOOH, spoilers for the first book!!! I'm blind, I'm blind!!!

Oh well, guess I coulda seen it coming."

Oops... sorry about that! But I didn't reveal everything!

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren No, I'm sure you didn't, as I've been reading for days and I'm not halfway through yet... King Elend, eh? I've only "met" him once so far, at the first ball; Vin's about to go to the second. Glad he's not a flash in the pan.