Carey Gibbons's Reviews > 14

14 by Peter Clines

Oct 03, 12

Read from September 24 to October 03, 2012

This was an entertaining read. I couldn't put it down, because I needed to know what happened. But I found the characters annoying and the end anticlimactic.

Nate moves into a weird apartment building where strange stuff happens and all the rooms are weird, etc. He and the other residents poke around and try to figure out what's going on. Otherworldy hijinx ensue.

A lot of the characters had the same snarky, irreverent voice that pisses me off about a lot of current writing. Young does not = asshole. The only character I really liked was Tim, a mysterious dude in his 60s who knew a lot about almost everything. The plot was predictable. As soon as I read "Westinghouse" I knew Tesla would be involved somehow - he's the hot pop history figure right now. The Lovecraft stuff seemed inevitable as well.

Overall, this novel seemed hollow. I think there was a lot of unused potential. It's titled after room #14, which we only see once in the narrative. Although what's behind the door of 14 is pretty unnerving, it doesn't seem to play any large part in the rest of the novel. There was a lot of unnecessary description that didn't add to the plot. The end was incredibly rushed. This doesn't have a whole lot of re-read value. However, it gets a third star for an interesting concept.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 14.