Angela's Reviews > Cherry Heaven

Cherry Heaven by L.J. Adlington

Jan 06, 09

bookshelves: dystopia, family, science-fiction, young-adult
Read in January, 2009

While the jacket declares in several places that LJ Adlington also wrote The Diary of Pelly D, no where does it actually tell you that this is the companion book. From someone who hasn't read Pelly D, it seems like you can read this book without reading the previous one, but you'll probably understand a lot more if you've read Pelly D. At the end of this book, I had a lot of questions about the logistics of this world - questions I'm not sure would have been answered in Pelly D.

Ultimately it's those unanswered questions that led to the low score, combined with my dislike of the overall writing style. While Luka's chapters were interesting to read, as I liked seeing how her thought process clarified throughout the novel, the other chapters got highly irritating as it seemed the author couldn't figure out who she wanted to follow. 90% of the third person chapters follow Kat exclusively, but will occasionally report on Tanka's inner thoughts and once, inexplicably, jumped to Millijue's point of view. Third person omniscient is a perfectly fine narrative style to use, but it wasn't used effectively (and was in fact quite distracting) in this case.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cherry Heaven.