Antof9's Reviews > Grace

Grace by Jane Roberts Wood

Jan 06, 09

bookshelves: 2004-read, forgettable, americana
Read in July, 2004

I read this once long ago, and then I actually read it again so I could write a review for it on BookCrossing. It's rather telling that as I upload this information to Goodreads, I still remember nothing about this book.

What I wrote on BC: I remember it didn't really do much for me. It's a wierd story. Grace's husband is gone, but she's clearly still young and beautiful. She's in danger of turning into an old-maid schoolteacher, but believes herself in love with her best friend's husband. The best friend is dying (of cancer?), and that part is a little confusing.

I found Bobby's character fascinating. He's a high school student (of Grace's), and wants to "join up", but is afraid the military won't take him because of his lazy eye. His relationship with Willie B., his mother's new "maid", is also very interesting. As this story is set in a small Texas town in 1944, Willie B. being black is just one of the many things he is learning about in his young life.

I really liked the parts about Grace and the soldiers on the train; in fact, I enjoyed much of the references to WWII and the military. I was happy when Grace finally got over John.

I guess it's a story about a woman trying to figure out what to do with herself in a world where women don't usually get to figure that out . . . but I guess it just didn't really speak to me very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grace.