Rachel's Reviews > The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: And Other Small Acts of Liberation

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted by Elizabeth Berg

Jan 09, 09

bookshelves: cutesy
Recommended to Rachel by: mom
Recommended for: women
Read in January, 2009

I thought that the appeal of this book would be lost on me due to the fact that I am not yet a middle aged wife and mother. It was something I picked up and sort of thumbed through while visiting my parents for Christmas, and I just ended up borrowing from my mother and reading the whole thing. As with all collections of stories, some parts are better than others, but overall, this was a pretty solidly entertaining book, with a couple of truly excellent stories.

I think the best thing about this book is that it is almost exactly the kind of feminist that I am. The stories all recognize something that is unique (whether negative and positive) about being a female of any age, from the onset of puberty to the last weeks or months of life, and they paint a picture. The stories in this book don't preach or whine about unfairness or inequality, though both are implied in some places as a virtual inevitability involved with portraying the lives of women. They accept the bad, but hope for better, while appreciating the good parts. Basically, it's a fun read - nothing too mind blowing or incredible, but worth reading - if only for some of the images it contains that will probably stick with me for a very long time. Oh, and a couple of the stories were laugh-out-loud funny.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted.

Quotes Rachel Liked

Elizabeth Berg
“Do you think that people ever really do believe they will die, that the world will just go along as always without them? I wonder if we aren't all a little surprised at the moment of crossover, if we don't look back over our shoulders saying, Now hold on.”
Elizabeth Berg, The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: Stories