Shélah's Reviews > Sailor Twain: Or: The Mermaid in the Hudson

Sailor Twain by Mark  Siegel

Sep 25, 12

bookshelves: americana, male-authors, graphic-novels
Read from September 24 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

* Received this book through the Goodreads First Reads giveaway programme.

First and foremost, this graphic novel has really engaging artwork, although I did feel that Elijah Twain felt a bit out of place. Everyone else had a similar aesthetic and he was a bit of an oddball. Perhaps that was purposeful to make him stand out as the protagonist.

The story itself is not only intriguing, but also about intrigue, and I found that to be captivating. The decisions and actions of the characters are questionable throughout, but most of it is resolved. Mostly, I felt that there was a lack of character development that you would expect in a juvenile novel, while this is clearly intended for an older audience.

I love graphic novels, but found this one a bit hard to follow. Maybe I read it too quickly, but some of the jumps back and forth in time were confusing and some of the scene transitions were awkward. The ending was a bit abrupt and I felt like I had missed something - I plan to reread this in order to see if this was because I moved through it too quickly.

I suspect that the online serialisation of the novel would add to the story rather than having it all together in one place. Because there isn't a great deal of text, it's an extremely fast read, and I think there is a lot more in this novel if you were to take your time with it.

Thanks for First Second for this beautiful book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sailor Twain.