Kelly Hager's Reviews > Send Me a Sign

Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt

Sep 25, 12

Read from September 24 to 25, 2012

Mia has just learned that she has leukemia. All of a sudden, her carefully ordered life (she's popular and a cheerleader, with the perfect gorgeous semi-boyfriend) is up in the air. She decides not to tell any of her friends---except for her sweet next door neighbor, Gyver. But Mia's very superstitious and all the signs are pointing to not telling anyone else. Except...how do you battle cancer with no support system? Yes, she has her parents (and Gyver) but it's not the same.

This is such a fantastic book but it will break your heart wide open. It's not that it's necessarily depressing 100% of the time, but it is a pretty unflinching look at what it's like to have cancer. (Or, since I personally have never had it, a look at what I imagine it's like to have cancer.)

Mia isn't brave all the time. She's not a complete mess, but she definitely grieves what her life has become. And it's hard, because once she decides not to tell her friends, she can't rely on them or even explain why she keeps disappearing.

The thing that surprised me about this book is how sweet parts of the story were. It's probably not a spoiler to say that Gyver (who, God love him, is named for MacGyver) and Mia are completely meant to be, and their story makes this book so completely happy for me. (Even though I will admit to crying multiple times.)

This isn't The Fault in Our Stars, and that's okay. It's still an amazing book.

Recommended.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Send Me a Sign.