Alex Bell's Reviews > Marines

Marines by Jay  Allan

U_50x66
Sep 24, 12

Read in September, 2012

I really enjoyed this book for a number of reasons. I am a longtime fan of military science fiction (I tend toward what you might call "realistic" space opera), though sometimes the genre can get repetitive and formulaic, so I was pleased to find that Marines offers a fresh story. It starts familiarly, with a pretty long description of a battle, but then it starts dribbling out backstory, and you realize there is a richly developed universe underlying this story.

There is a dark feel to the book, not just because of the endemic war, but also because the governments are corrupt and decadent. I was left feeling like I was watching good characters try to overcome difficult circumstances.

I thought the character develop was very good, if a little slow in coming, and I was very invested in the lead character by the end of the book. It's the first in a series, and there were some sample chapters of the second book (not out yet) at the end of my kindle version. I enjoyed these as well, and am looking forward to the next book.

If you like in-depth backgrounds and flawed heroes struggling against difficult circumstances, this is a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marines.