Jennie's Reviews > In the Woods

In the Woods by Tana French

Jan 06, 2009

bookshelves: wishlist, thriller, legal, favorites
Recommended to Jennie by: Brooke
Read from February 03 to 08, 2011

I had to wait three months for this book in ebook format, and eventually gave up on ever seeing it in print format. It became clear to me that, at least in the San Francisco library system, this book is hot stuff. I was pleased to see that this was entirely warranted.

Recommended to me by my best friend Brooke, In the Woods is a lushly written mystery/thriller which takes liberties with the Irish legal system and leads the reader into a well-written, complex world where things are never quite what they seem, dysfunctional relationships are tested, and the past is explored so as to understand the present.

I was a little surprised that one huge aspect of the story wasn't neatly resolved at the end - it certainly seemed as if we were going to find out whodunit - but upon further reflection, it was far more realistic that way. Maybe it would have been more satisfying to have this loose end tied up, but life so rarely works out so neatly. I understand from my fellow Goodreads fans that some readers really hate that it wasn't resolved.

Don't let that stop you from reading this book. It has beautiful, lyrical prose, a protagonist who swings between hero and anti-hero, and a supporting cast of well-fleshed-out characters.

Highly recommended to mystery/thriller/Law & Order junkies. I can't wait to read the second and third in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.

02/05/2011 page 70