Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > 14

14 by Peter Clines

Nov 30, 12

bookshelves: horror, urban-fantasy

This is an excellent book, no doubt about it. It only fails to get a 5 star rating (from me)because there are a couple of stereotypes that screamed at me (and one that annoys me when it's used because by now it soooooo tired) and a few stereotypical situations/plot devices. (view spoiler)

BUT, that said I really like this one. The plot is admittedly well trod ground, but that in itself in not a bad thing. Built on a well established framework of/from horror fiction our writer handles it very well. There are as I've noted before very few if any totally new and unique plots/story lines. A great deal depends on how the author handles the idea/s and the characters he puts into the story.

Clines does an exceptional job and I've already purchased 2 more books by him.

No spoilers here, no inside comments that will give "it" away. I just recommend that if you like horror, if you like urban fantasy or if you're simply a fan of fantasy and/or horror you pick this one up. I really don't think you'll go wrong.

Very good book Mr. Clines. I hope you follow it up. Highly recommended.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 14.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arah-Lynda (new) - added it

Arah-Lynda You have peaked my interst here Mike. Added to my TBR with my thanks.

message 2: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Oct 13, 2012 01:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (the Paladin) I'd ask about what you like or say something more, but then I'd give a spoiler away...hope you like it.

Mike (the Paladin) Hey...this is my review, do your own. :0 LOL.

To each their own. There are ideas you'll recognize but they're handled well and I like the book.

Marlon Weems I liked it, but it was one big stereotype. Still a fun read though.

Mike (the Paladin) I didn't think it was really a stereotype so much as another bow to Lovecraft. There are "scads" of stories out there that harken back to his work. But to each (as I say over and over). There are really very few totally original ideas out there today but if an older idea is used well it's all cool with me usually. Depends on how derivative it is I guess.