Petra Eggs's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

Sep 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-reviews, popculture-anthropology, travel-adventure, 2014-reviews, reviewed
Read from September 24, 2012 to April 23, 2014

Rewritten in light of the fact that not even I could understand it due to errors caused by several glasses of very, very expensive wine I had been treated to. (view spoiler)

I first listened to an abridged version of this book and was intrigued. It was a more detailed look into a world I knew existed from films and other books. It was more my interest was kindled than I really enjoyed listening to it - the abridgement was too sketchy and so I got the book. 2 stars for the abridged version.

The book, the real deal, dead trees and ink made from oak gall and old rubber tyres was too verbose and repetitive, I felt like saying ok, I get it, time and again. I kept wondering if the author had a) mild asperger's syndrome, b) was paid by the word or c) wanted to hammer into our heads about just what we were supposed to be doing, that personal education was all. They'll have to find the money from somewhere.

Was her subtext give to support India charities? I wasn't sure. I personally would find it hard to give to an Indian charity as all the foreign aid it gets seems to go into its nuclear programme. Also because (most of) the rest of the world deplores the caste system, but to India it is divine punishment, and in general, outside of those whom it affects most and have the least voice, they don't care or worse, thoroughly exploit it for their own benefit.

On an enjoyment level I would have to say I liked it. Simply that, not 'not very much' nor 'quite a lot' but just like. 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.

Judy Will be interested in what you think about this book, Petra.

Petra Eggs Judy wrote: "Will be interested in what you think about this book, Petra."

I didn't get as much from it as I'd hoped but it wasn't bad, Judy.

Judy Were you thinking it would be better because of all the glowing reviews?

Petra Eggs Judy wrote: "Were you thinking it would be better because of all the glowing reviews?"

Partly the reviews, but also because the audio abridgment was so bad that I thought fleshed out it would have been a much better read and it was just an ok one.