Kelly's Reviews > How to Ditch Your Fairy

How to Ditch Your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

Jan 06, 09

bookshelves: ya-fiction, read-in-2009

2.5

The story was face paced at times and really dragged through other parts. Overall, it's cute and those interested in "other worlds" and magic would like this read.

However, the "other world" is poorly constructed. The invented language is not done well and not interesting (in fact, it's just frustrating to read since it's so poorly done). The characters are hit and miss, and I didn't find myself caring a bit about Charlie. I thought she was a bit of a whiner. Perhaps most irritating, though, were the lists starting each chapter. It was like Briget Jones and even the Georgia Nicolson series, but, it had no purpose and no introduction. It was trying to be trendy and fell flat. Larbalestier's writing and story telling leave a lot to be desired, but the concept is enough to hold readers. Although it could have been moralistic and in a sense did get that way (in thinking that what someone else has is better than what you have), she avoids it at the end with some other strange lesson akin to if you whine enough, you'll get what you want without repercussion. Hmmm...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Ditch Your Fairy.

01/06/2009 page 150
48.86% "I'm getting tired of the same writing format with lists beginning each chapter. It's old, overdone, and meaningless in this book."