Dan Schwent 's Reviews > Spider-Man: Big Time Ultimate Collection

Spider-Man by Dan Slott

Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: comics, 2012, confession-time
Read from September 27 to 29, 2012

Spider-man leads the Avengers into battle against Dr. Octopus and gets a job. A new Hobgoblin rears his ugly head. The Spider-Slayers and the Scorpion return. There's a new Venom in town. Spider-Man's wardrobe expands to include three or four new costumes. Spider-Man joins the Future Foundation in the wake of the Human Torch's death. Spider-Man teaches a class at the Avengers Academy. A lot other stuff happens too...

Confession Time: I haven't read Spider-Man regularly since Mike Wieringo was the artist. In fact, most of my favorite Spider-Man tales are from the original run of Marvel Team-Up. I briefly took an interest in JMS's run on the book but didn't like taste. Plus, Civil War was coming and the revolting amount of hype put me off comics for five years.

However, once I heard Dan Slott was writing Spider-Man, I had to give it a shot. I was not disappointed in the least.

This book contains something like 24 issues of Spider-Man and tells a wide variety of stories featuring the Web-Slinger. The humor and fun level is way up from the last time I read Spider-Man and Slott and the rest of the creative crew did a fantastic job. I particularly liked Marcos Martin's retro-style art, though Humberto Ramos has come a long way since his days on Impulse. Slott really gets what makes Spider-Man work. I caught myself laughing out loud at Spidey's antics quite a few times.

If there's one thing I've learned from Spider-Man: Big Time Ultimate Collection, it's that sometimes making a deal with the devil to save your 150 year old aunt's life at the expense of your marriage sometimes isn't all that bad. This is the best Spider-Man has been in years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spider-Man.

09/27/2012 page 1
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

[Name Redacted] That whole Mephisto thing made NO SENSE.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Ian wrote: "That whole Mephisto thing made NO SENSE.

However, I can't believe you went off comics for a whole 5 years. I just shifted my allegiance to other publishers. Dark Horse & Vertigo mostly."

I still haven't read the Mephisto thing but I knew they'd have to do something hokey to fix Spider-Man revealing his identity in Civil War. I just didn't think it would be that hokey.

I think I was only reading Y! The Last Man and 52 so it wasn't a huge deal. Luckily, they both wrapped around that time.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Ian wrote: "Additionally: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vide..."

I have never been more glad that I've never read Civil War or One More Day. Can someone explain how Joe Quesada went from being a chronically late artist to head honcho at Marvel?

[Name Redacted] Maybe HE made a deal with Mephisto? Maybe that's why he essentially created a tribute to how awesome Spider-Man's life was after he made one?

message 6: by Noetic (new)

Noetic I didn't care for Spider-Island much, though I definitely like Spider-Man. I especially disliked the Art, though there was a sense of "Peter = Reed/Tony" gary stu that I also disliked.

Does it mean I should avoid this one? I have been meaning to pick up the 5 volumes of JMS, if they're still in print, and this one would follow right after, as I understand.

Also, ONE MORE DAY sucked balls. I wanted so badly to be open-minded, but it was just awful.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Joe Q had to know his day in the sun as an artist was on the decline. His best work was doing covers for Solar, Man of the Atom for Valiant.

I know Brand New Day is before this one for sure. I'm not sure how many others there are between JMS's run and this one.

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam I've been enjoying this series a lot since Dan Slott took over the writing. Although I've always liked Spider-Man, I've never considered it a "must-not-miss-an-issue" kind of series. But Slott really hits the mark, every time. I can't think of too many other comic writers who can make a series consistently fun without being cartoonish or childish. But his stuff is fun with a capital F.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Slott really knows how to write a good Spidey tale. I'd been waiting from them to give him the reigns since Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm with Stupid Digest, which is possibly even more fun than this book.

message 10: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 I'm not a reader of this kind of thing but the last paragraph of your review almost converted me!

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "I'm not a reader of this kind of thing but the last paragraph of your review almost converted me!"

Spidey should have just let Aunt May die. She's been at death's door so many times she probably knows the Grim Reaper on a first name basis.