David Sven's Reviews > Wool

Wool by Hugh Howey

Sep 23, 2012

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from January 11 to 15, 2013

Book 1 of the Wool Omnibus. Short at some 49 pages – and its got my attention.
The remnants of mankind live in a giant circular Silo going into the ground – outside is an uninhabitable waste with toxic corrosive air. We aren’t really told what’s happened. People can view the outside world through a screen that’s fed from four live feed camera’s outside. Problem - the cameras need to be cleaned. Problem - going outside is a death sentence. Solution – send out condemned criminals to clean the cameras in a suit that will last long enough to get the job done.

So straight up I’m like, oh yeah? I know how this goes. Can’t sucker punch this smart cookie. But I was well and truly sucker punched. And what’s more – Howey used my own scepticism against me to do it. And now I’ve got to get to the next book because I still haven’t wrapped my head around what just happened. Very clever intro – well clever providing he can answer some of the questions that have my brain in a spin.

5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool.

11/25/2016 marked as: read

Igor David, tell me what you think about this one, I have it too and planning to read it.

message 2: by Candace (last edited Jan 15, 2013 09:35AM) (new)

Candace I'll be looking for this on my Nook today!

message 3: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo  Igor and Candace: Its worth it. Its really well written and its as addictive as crack (not that I ve participated in that particular drug). Glad youre liking it, David.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Everyone is reading and loving this; I must get a copy.

Hanne i was already looking forward to reading this book - and now even more!

Igor It's absolutely fantastic. I'm on Wool 5 and already got 6&7 waiting to be read!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I have been interested in this as well because people have been talking about it so much, had no clue what is was about now i'm even more interested.

message 8: by Richard (new)

Richard Good to see a smart cookie getting sucker punched. Nice review, did you enjoy the rest?

David Sven Thanks Richard. The rest were good but I liked the first half of the series more. Not too many more surprises.

Shane_finnie my friend Carl loved it... and he drinks in the Ramblers