Brownbetty's Reviews > Duchess By Night

Duchess By Night by Eloisa James

Feb 16, 09

Read in February, 2009

Nothing special, but, noteworthy for the genre, at no point made me whack myself in the head with the paperback, or throw it across the room.

(Whack myself in the head = "Why is this character still alive when clearly she is too dumb to live?"

Throw it across the room = "Ew, you got misogyny/patriarchy in my dumb entertainment reading.")

Well, maybe at one point there was some mild head-whackage, but that's practically a pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duchess By Night.

02/03/2009 page 4
1.09% "I got this out because it was mentioned as dumb but likeable, and already I'm dumb, but liking it."
02/03/2009 page 73
19.95% "Curses, there is a precocious ward who I predict will get involved in matchmaking. Poo."
02/03/2009 page 82
22.4% "I keep on being afraid that the lolarios cross-dressing adventures will try to get some comedy out of lolarious homophobia. (So far no.)"
02/03/2009 page 94
25.68% "I do hope this bad-poetry is historically accurate. (The updates will continue until lj improves.)"
02/03/2009 page 100
27.32% "Writer does not know horse-gaits. Trot is the lumpy one, gallop is quite smooth."
02/03/2009 page 136
37.16% "Most homoerotic het romance I can remember reading."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Writerlibrarian (last edited Feb 16, 2009 09:44AM) (new)

Writerlibrarian LOL. I have a few books of this writer in my pile of romance novels to read. 5 to be exact but not that one. Pity but that's what bookmooch is for.

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Not hoping the heroine dies of her own stupidity is practically a gold medal for some of these books.I think Eloisa James often has heroes that I get frustrated with because they don't care at all about anything the heroine says.
Her:"I don't want to marry you"
Him: "la dee da I'm going to kidnap you over to Gretna Green now bye bye"

Brownbetty Yeah, there was actually one argument, you know, the final one that is obligatory to threaten the happiness of the couple, where I literally could not see what they were arguing about. It was like "Would you like me to get you a drink while I'm there?"

"FINE, I'M LEAVING YOU."

"WELL FINE IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE THAT WAY, I'M GLAD."

Which was uh. you know. I just kinda hand-wave that stuff.

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I love the romance novels where the guy gives up everything for the girl, gives her everything etc etc theyre wildly happy...

but she's miserable because he won't say "I love you" out loud...

like, sweetie, that's not the be all and end all!

So many broken relationships because some stubborn heroine wants him to say it but won't ask him out loud either.