Elton's Reviews > The Angel's Game

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Mar 17, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2009

The Angel's Game actually takes place in the same area of Barcelona as SOTW. Set in the period just before the civil war that leads up to SOTW. The main character is David Martin, who at the beginning of book is working at a newspaper & gets his chance to be a writer. Soon with the help of of his friend & mentor, Perdo Vidal, he is able to lift himself out of poverty & start writing for a living.

He soon leaves the newspaper & starts writing pulp fiction under a pseudonym for a less than desirable publishing house. But while making good money, he realizes that he is truly not happy & longs to write for himself. Soon he's approached by a mysterious benefactor, Andreas Corelli, who asks David to write a book for him. The subject would be Corelli's choosing. And David would have one year to write it. Once he's done, he will be rich & free to write for himself. But just who is this man giving him this chance? And what will it truly cost him in the end? I'd tell you more, but that might give something away.

Much like SOTW, there is an overall mystery winding it's way through the story. But at the same time there is a fabulous love story/triangle and sins of the past come back to haunt the characters.

Zafón really shines in his storytelling & his dialogue. The interaction between David & his "ward/protege", Isabella, is simply magic. As with SOTW, you really fall into the lives of these characters & live and breathe with them. But eventually the story has to end. And at the end I was in tears, not just because of the story, but simply because I knew my time with these characters was coming to a close.

This is a book I would highly recommend, definitely in my top 20 of all time.
(This review can also be read at my blog, which can be found here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jodie I'm so looking forward to this book and I'm really interested to hear what you thought about it. These are the times when I really wish I worked at a book store despite the fact I'd be working for free.

Elton There are copies on ebay if you want to break down & can't wait.

Jodie Elton wrote: "There are copies on ebay if you want to break down & can't wait.
If not I will let you know. I'll owe the rep, who got it for me, a review of it when I'm done."

OOOOH! Gotta love eBay, I may see what I can find, but I still really want to hear your thoughts.

Reca I hate knowing this is siting in my house and I can't touch it!

Jodie Reca wrote: "I hate knowing this is siting in my house and I can't touch it!"

That would make me absolutely, positively INSANE....er ;}

You're a better woman than I am.

message 6: by Mark (last edited Feb 23, 2009 08:48AM) (new) - added it

Mark If this book was in MY house it would definitely be in the reading now list. Possibly , given how much I liked his last one, everything else would be dropped LOL. I agree with Jodie , Reca, youre much stronger than I am as well :)

Roll on June is all I can say :)

Jodie GREAT Review Elton. I'm looking forward to reading this one even more now, as if that were possible.

message 8: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Jodie wrote: "GREAT Review Elton. I'm looking forward to reading this one even more now, as if that were possible."

I agree with Jodie, Elton. Thanks for the great review. Cant wait to get my hands on it in a few months or so ....