Ay's Reviews > The Lifeboat

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

Sep 23, 2012

Read in September, 2012

I was fascinated to find out what this book was actually about. I have yet to do some research on the author - being her debut novel, i always like to know what inspired their writing, but i certainly wasn't disappointed in spending time in its pages.

I guess we've all been confronted with that partytime activity: "If you were on a desert island/in a lifeboat.. and there was only food left for some not all of you... who would you throw out/give up on...and then the values and morals dictate our answers.
This book does the same.

As i read, i kept asking myself the question, "What would i do in this situation? Would i survive a lifeboat experience?"

I was intrigued to know what details the author would create, how 'true to life' could the story be?

As the story progresses, Charlotte doesn't put us in agony and stall the important information, but rather moves us along at a good pace - it's not a slow, harrowing journey at all. Instead, before we know it, there is one overboard, then two, then three - and it leaves you shocked, sad and trying to side with the good and the bad in each of them.

I can't say that it's a happy read. Be prepared to be faced with some tough notions of life and survival - but rest assured, Charlotte has crafted it well and left no stone unturned.

The story still haunts me a few days later. I can still hear an undercurrent of questions inside about humanity and what we are called to do or not do at our most despairing moments!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.