Nicole's Reviews > Pirate Cinema

1940992
Sep 23, 2012

bookshelves: own
Read from January 24 to 25, 2013

I'd rate this closer to a 3.5 but I tend to round up in cases where I like the author or find something particularly endearing about the book. I'm too sleepy to be eloquent, but for now I'll say that I enjoyed the zany cast of odd, intelligent characters. I love that world they created for themselves.

I enjoyed the story overall, but I do somewhat agree with some other reviewer's criticisms that the novel was too preachy; too black and white. But, at the same time, the story is written from Trent's point of view. Trent is a passionate teenager who feels personally victimized, he sees the issue as black and white — there is a clear right and wrong to him. So from his perspective, the studios are bad and an open and free Net is good.

Sure the issue of copyright is more complex than it is portrayed here, but this book is fiction, YA fiction at that, and while it is obviously a commentary on copyright laws and big business control/ influence over government, it is also a story about Trent and Jem, 26, Rabid Dog and the others.

I think the message is overt, but I also knew who I was reading and what to expect. So, while this book has its issues, I still found it entertaining and enjoyable to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirate Cinema.