Christina's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Kelley Armstrong

Jan 10, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy, 2009-reads, werewolves
Read in January, 2009

3 stars for the disconnected, slightly mundane beginning of the novel; 5 stars for the amazing Armstrong-style ending.

I won't lie; as much as I fangirl over Kelley Armstrong, Elena, Clay, and the whole werewolf world... I was initially disappointed over Broken. I skipped from Stolen to Broken (shamefully, I wish I'd had enough patience to read the three in-betweens first) and just felt like Armstrong had lost her touch to the werewolf world. Suddenly, Elena's POV wasn't about the werewolves, it was about all the other supernatural races. I didn't like it. I crave the werewolf world because Armstrong has such a tight grip on it. It feels so real. And in this book... it was gone.

Clearly, it comes back. So if you're feeling disconnected, don't lose heart. It comes back, and I'm all the more grateful. I think it's partly also my fault that I felt so disconnected because I skipped the three other books. I missed three years of their world, of their growing up (even if the books aren't completely focused on them), and suddenly they were thirty five plus and completely different to how they were in Stolen. I wish I hadn't skipped past those three years.

I absolutely adore Zoe, though. Oh Kelley, if you're reading this, you need to write something from Zoe's POV! PLEASE. She is brilliant.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

03/28 marked as: read