Chrissie's Reviews > 1916: A Novel of the Irish Rebellion

1916 by Morgan Llywelyn

Jul 27, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: hf, ireland, kirkus, alt, religion, series
Read from July 18 to 27, 2013

If you want to understand the road to Irish Independence, I think this book is an excellent choice. Although it is a book of historical fiction, the historical facts are clear and correctly presented. A small group of fictional characters are added to the many known historical figures. The book begins with a list of characters, clearly stating which are fictional and which are real. It even states which of the historical figures died in the 1916 Rising. There are maps and a long biography. In every chapter there are footnotes that state the source for the given statement; these are numerous! So if you want the history this is a great book to choose. It is the start of a series, this being the first. I find the Irish controversy complicated. There are so many different factions. I appreciated that the details are clearly presented and footnoted. I also appreciated learning how this conflict was tied to WW1.

The fictional characters add love stories and children and simply making it a fun read. You get history in a pleasant easily digested manner. I wouldn't say the writing was all that special though. You can kind of guess beforehand what will happen, who will end up with who, for example. It is the fictional aspects of the book and the writing style that don't really shine, and for this reason I have only given the book three stars, but I am very glad I read it.

**********************

Through chapter 14:
I love how Morgan Llywelyn has history tied in on every page. Between each chapter there are newspaper headlines. Ned, the primary fictional character returns to Ireland after surviving the sinking of the Titanic. Now an orphan, he is sent to the boarding school Saint Enda. It really existed. Its headmaster (Pádraic Pearse 1879-1916) played a role in the following fight for Irish Independence. I love that the many, many historical details are footnoted. The school is right outside of Dublin. So wonderful to hear of a g-o-o-d Catholic boarding school! You can guess what I was expecting to be thrown at me! What a pleasant surprise! I am really impressed with how the author had fitted fictional characters into basically a non-fiction description of the times. Great review also of Irish history; all is so clearly explained.

There are clear maps, those footnotes mentioned above and a long bibliography. I don't like books where you are not sure what exactly is historical fact and what is fiction. With this book you can forget that worry!
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1916.

07/18/2013 marked as: currently-reading 5 comments
07/27/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 I know what you mean about the Catholic schools lol. Usually in movies and books they're filled with nasty nuns & pervy priests hehe :)

Chrissie I was thinking, OMG, here we go , but no this school really existed and the headmaster too and it was a wonderful school. It teaches the Irish language as well as English. I love hearing about a good boarding school. The head master is killed in the 1916 Rising. I know that b/c he is listed in bold text in the front of the book. I love how the history is so well covered. It summarizes centuries before.

I kept thinking I should be engaged with the characters of Strumpet City, but really I wasn't, and the history isn't at all as clear or well developed.

Laura Not so good as Trinity.

message 4: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Yeah, I got that impression from your review of Strumpet City and I did think to myself that it's good you've got this book especially considering you're enjoying it.

message 5: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Laura wrote: "Not so good as Trinity."

Who's that by, Laura ?

Laura Trinity by Leon Uris

message 7: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Cool, thanks !!

Chrissie Laura wrote: "Not so good as Trinity."

Laura, here I totally disagree with you. I could only manage to give Trinity 2 stars. Talk about a depressing book! And its characters had no depth, black and white figures. That is just how I felt about them, and your opinion is definitely the more popular pov. There are a few though that think as I do..... ;0)

simran, the dilemma, friends who think completely differently! But you do know I am a weirdo!

Laura I really enjoyed this book at that time when I've read it. Remember that sometimes we have a different opinion about the same book, it's normal since it depends of our mood when we read a particular book.

message 10: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Read Trinity but many years ago, and I really can't remember what I thought of it. This book sounds wonderful though and I will have to add it, this will be a new author for me. I did, however, attend Catholic school for many years and had creepy and cruel nuns and pervy priests.

Chrissie Laura, of course, there are no two people who always react identically! My Mom loved Trinity and she bought each of us kids a copy one Xmas. She was Scotch-Irish, so I guess I am a bit too; Russian on my dad's side.

Diane, I really like the clarity of the history. I LOVE learning about a wonderful Catholic boarding school!!!!! I do have quite a bit left..... but there is no way the history aspect can be wrecked.

Simran, yeah, generally these boarding school dramas put me off. THAT is why I was so pleasantly surprised.

message 12: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Diane S. wrote: "I did, however, attend Catholic school for many years and had creepy and cruel nuns and pervy priests.."

Some things don't really change lol.

message 13: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Chrissie, my weirdo friend (hehe), I never have problems deciding these things lol.

message 14: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Ashley went to Catholic school in kindergarten through fifth grade, and I guess we were lucky, because for the most part her teachers were terrific. The catholic faith isn't for everyone, but my husband is Catholic. Although Ash is no longer Catholic, I think Catholic school gave her a good, solid start. That's one of the few things in my life I wouldn't change if I had a "do over".

Diane, I was raised Catholic also. I've seen Catholic school - the way it was when we were young - ruin people for religion in general, which is a shame. They generally got good educations, though.

This book seems interesting, Chrissie!

Laura, I need to look at that Leon Uris title. Thanks!

message 15: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura *waves at Simran* I'm headed to the sewing room. :))

Chrissie Laura, I am glad you have had good experiences of Catholic schools! I think it is important that the good ones get mentioned since so often only the bad ones are pointed out.

Enjoy your sewing!!!! How many blocks are now completed?

message 17: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Thanks, Chrissie! 6 down, 66 to go! :D I actually never made it to the sewing room today, I wound up reading another cookbook, lol. Made an awesome recipe out of there, though, so it was totally worth it.

message 18: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Laura wrote: "Thanks, Chrissie! 6 down, 66 to go! :D I actually never made it to the sewing room today, I wound up reading another cookbook, lol. Made an awesome recipe out of there, though, so it was totall..."

I was gonna give you a loud yay for message 15 but I can;t now lol. Good job on the recipe though, yay !!! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Laura, I am glad you have had good experiences of Catholic schools! I think it is important that the good ones get mentioned since so often only the bad ones are pointed out.

Enjoy your sewing!!!..."

I went to Catholic school for 7 years, in inner-city Detroit. It was the best education available in that area, and the nuns were strict, perhaps, but I remember how kind so many of them were. I wanted to be a nun when I grew up, (for a few years).

Chrissie Laura, I am glad you are finding good recipes! Maybe you can get a group that will soon be like a flick of a finger to produce and will make you not care about the other food you cannot eat. That has got to be your goal. Maybe you can get to the sewing room today?

Jeanette, glad to hear of your favorable experiences too.

message 21: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Hey Sister Jeannette LOL !!! I really can't picture you in a habit...no wait, i can ... and it's bringing back memories of Sister Act lol !!

Chrissie Do you wanna laugh - picture any of us as nuns!

message 23: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Lol thanks Chrissie !! Maybe you'll surprise us and post a picture of yourself in a habit - props do help hehe :)

message 24: by Laura (last edited Jul 21, 2013 06:14AM) (new) - added it

Laura I can see Jeannette in a habit!! lol! I'm the youngest of nine, so we're either Catholic or crazy! I agree, Jeannette, it's a great education. And great penmanship, too.

Chrissie, you would not have believed it yesterday if you could've seen it. I think we both hated the kitchen equally. This book changed everything for me, and I'm not even finished it yet! The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks I was making strawberry shortcake. Ive made it before, but not gluten free, so it was a new recipe for me. I made a mistake with the whipped cream layer, and Vic suggested we re-do it and scrap the mistake. He did re-do the whipped cream, and it turned out great. But rather than scrapping the other, I wound up incorporating it into something I'd made that morning (which also didn't turn out as planned), added a few spices, and made a completely different layer for the shortcake. It was delicious. All three of us loved it. I was so proud of myself for taking the risks! I'd have never tried that before reading that book ^^.

Simran, I was thinking about you last night. Guess what Vic had for dinner? We cut an avocado in half, removed the seed and put an egg yolk in each seed cavity. Roasted it in the oven for 15 minutes with a little salt on top. He loved it. He is thinking about going gluten free, since Ash and I have to be. The food is delicious. You just need the right recipes. I told him I thought you'd love the recipe. He saw it on a local cooking show.

Chrissie Laura, do you mean you are actually beginning to like being in the kitchen? YAY!!!! I am a lost cause, principally b/c I cannot even try a spoonful or check to see how stuff tastes. But I am not unhappy with this, so it doesn't matter. I am glad you are finding a solution.

message 26: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Yay, lets hear it for avocados lol ! Well.....I don't eat eggs unless they're in cakes etc -they kinda gross me out- but I love that you thought of me ! It gives me the warm & fuzzies especially after the completely lousy day I've had :)

Chrissie Oh shit, Simran, has today been a bummer? ((((Simran))))) Tomorrow is, I hope, better.

message 28: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Chrissie wrote: "Oh shit, Simran, has today been a bummer? ((((Simran))))) Tomorrow is, I hope, better."

Yeah, it was a bad one Chrissie. Thanks :) And I hope tomorrow is better too.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Do you wanna laugh - picture any of us as nuns!"

You and Simran are easy to imagine as nuns, for me, and the least likely, too!

I made a raw kale salad last night and Andreas ate 3 bowls of it!

message 30: by Jemidar (new)

Jemidar Jeannette wrote: "I made a raw kale salad last night and Andreas ate 3 bowls of it! "

I hope kale doesn't have the same effect on the bowels as cabbage!!

message 31: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Chrissie wrote: "Laura, do you mean you are actually beginning to like being in the kitchen? YAY!!!! I am a lost cause, principally b/c I cannot even try a spoonful or check to see how stuff tastes. But I am not un..."

Finally, yes. I'm so happy. I needed this, it feels like someone threw me a lifesaver.

I can see where not being able to taste would make it difficult, but as long as you're happy, it's all good.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 21, 2013 07:16AM) (new)

Jemidar wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "I made a raw kale salad last night and Andreas ate 3 bowls of it! "

I hope kale doesn't have the same effect on the bowels as cabbage!!"

Thank you for sharing, Jemidar! XD (not as much gas, thankfully)

message 33: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Simran wrote: "Yay, lets hear it for avocados lol ! Well.....I don't eat eggs unless they're in cakes etc -they kinda gross me out- but I love that you thought of me ! It gives me the warm & fuzzies especially af..."

Sorry you've had a bad day. I hope it gets better. ((((Simran))))

message 34: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Jeannette wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Do you wanna laugh - picture any of us as nuns!"

You and Simran are easy to imagine as nuns, for me, and the least likely, too!

I made a raw kale salad last night and Andreas ate..."

Yay for happy kitchenness!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Sorry you've had a bad day. I hope it gets better. ((((Simran)))) "

Same from me, Simran!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Do you wanna laugh - picture any of us as nuns!"

You and Simran are easy to imagine as nuns, for me, and the least likely, too!

I made a raw kale salad last nig..."

Are you interested in the recipe, Laura?

message 37: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Kale isn't my friend yet. I eat baby kale, but only in my smoothies. But thanks, tho!

message 38: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Thanks guys :)

And Ms J-exactly what about me screamed nun lol ??

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

It's one of my new faves! I'm growing it in my garden this year.

message 40: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Jemidar wrote: "I hope kale doesn't have the same effect on the bowels as cabbage!!"

I'm sure J would've cut Andreas off after the 1st bowl if that was the case hehe ! After all there's only so much space for extra gas in the atmosphere lol.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Simran wrote: "Thanks guys :)

And Ms J-exactly what about me screamed nun lol ??"

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Simran wrote: "Jemidar wrote: "I hope kale doesn't have the same effect on the bowels as cabbage!!"

LOL

message 43: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Jeannette wrote: "We saw all those nuns in Rome, and so many of them were petite, and you and Chrissie are definitely petite in stature. The American nuns are a bit more hardy, hence Laura picturing me in a habit! lol"

Ok i can accept that...I was afraid you might've seen the ruler poking out of my pocket...oops lol.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

;D

message 45: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Jeannette wrote: "Simran wrote: "Thanks guys :)

And Ms J-exactly what about me screamed nun lol ??"

Nope, it's your face. And your approach to fiction, lol!

message 46: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Jeannette wrote: "Laura wrote: "Kale isn't my friend yet. I eat baby kale, but only in my smoothies. But thanks, tho!"

It's one of my new faves! I'm growing it in my garden this year."

message 47: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Laura wrote: "Nope, it's your face. And your approach to fiction, lol!"

Ok my face -my avatar mind you lol-i get but what's my approach to fiction ? And how does that bring out my supposed inner nun lol ??

message 48: by Sunny12 (new)

Sunny12 Laura wrote: "It's another veggie my mom ruined by boiling. It's gonna take awhile to erase all of those lovely memories lol. I only like cooked cauliflower now because mom never made that."

Oh dear...lol !

message 49: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Simran wrote: "Laura wrote: "Nope, it's your face. And your approach to fiction, lol!"

I was responding to Jeannette, lol

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha. I thought you meant Simran, too. I get it now! All that Catholic purity and guilt keeps me on the straight and narrow. ;). Did you grow up watching all of those religious movies like Song of Bernadette? I wished we had a few priests like Bing Crosby.

« previous 1