Jairo Guzman's Reviews > The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure

The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger

M_50x66
Sep 23, 12

Enzensberger tells a story of Robert, a young boy with mediocre math skills, and his journey through the world of mathematics under the tutoring of the number devil, a black-bearded, irascible, red man. In Enzensberger's The number devil, the boy Robert is able to contact this devil through 12 dreams and learns that math isn’t that bad at all. The whole purpose of this book is to reveal to young people that mathematics is something worth exploring and not just a sadistic intellectual exercise made by teachers just to give us more work. In this Story the number devil everything is math based from start to end for example: On the first night, the Number Devil appears to Robert in an oversized world and introduces the number one. The next night, the Number Devil emerges in a forest of trees shaped like "ones" and explains the necessity of the number zero, negative numbers, and introduces hopping, a fictional term to describe exponentiation. In some parts I felt intrigued by the characters how they acted how they reacted but that was only the first after a couple of chapters it became dull and boring and I wished it just ended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Number Devil.