Dave's Reviews > To Walk the Night

Jan 05, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: arkham, fiction, speculative-fiction
Read in April, 2004

"To Walk the Night" by William Sloane was first published in 1937. It is a slowly building science fiction/horror story. In 1949 it was tied for 9th on the Arkham Survey of `Basic SF Titles'. The pace of the story is a bit slow. The story is told from the point of view of Berekley Jones, who is relating the circumstances that led up to the suicide of his friend (Jerry Lister) to Jerry's father. He starts the story with the discovery, by Jerry and himself, of the dead body of one of their former professors. They are surprised to learn that the person they knew as a life-long bachelor had married, and that his widow (Selena) now wants to meet them. Jerry quickly falls for Selena, but Berk has the opposite reaction and actually fears her. The story covers Jerry and Selena's brief courtship, as Berkley tells of his reasons why he considers Selena to be something other than what she appears to be.

For most of the book, the reader knows in general where the story is going, but is forced to wait until the final chapter to find out the specifics. Yet, despite the slow pace and the somewhat predictible plot, I found the writing held my interest fairly well. I can't say this is a great book, but I enjoyed it enough to recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Walk the Night.