Sarah's Reviews > The Blessed

The Blessed by Tonya Hurley

Sep 29, 12

bookshelves: r2r-complete, read-2012
Read from September 28 to 29, 2012

(Source: I borrowed a copy of this book.)
Three girls are all admitted to A&E the same Saturday night. Agnes who slit her wrists because her boyfriend cheated on her, Cecilia who accidentally drowned herself in a puddle after her band had played because she drank too much, and Lucy who accidentally overdosed whilst at a party.

The three girls have never met each other before, and although they are all admitted at the same time, still do not meet then. Whilst all of them have different problems, they also have some similar ones. Each girl has someone that’s getting to her in some way, and each girl is given or finds a strange bracelet at the hospital – one with cream coloured stones and a small charm.

One night all three girls find themselves drawn to a church called ‘The Church of the Precious Blood’, where they meet a boy called Sebastian - a boy who claims to have given them the bracelets. He claims that the bracelets are ‘Chaplets’, and the charms on each are ‘milagros’, and they are what has drawn the girls to the church.

What the girls don’t know is that Sebastian has just escaped from the psychiatric wing after a 3 year stay, instigated by the priest who used to worship in the very church that Sebastian and the girls are now in.
Why has Sebastian gone to such lengths to get the girls to the church? What secrets are hidden within its walls? What answers will they find there? And why are both the psychiatrist and the priest so desperate to get Sebastian back?

This was an okay read. I found it quite dull and didn’t really see where it was going most of the time. I persevered, and was slightly interested in Sebastian’s background and why he had been sectioned and spent 3 years in a psychiatric hospital, but I found that even that was 100% explained.

I felt like I could most relate to Agnes, with her selfish attention-seeking mother, and uncaring boyfriend. Both Cecilia and Lucy were themselves selfish and attention-seeking though, and I didn’t really like them at all. Both seemed to be only out for what they could get, and although the author tried to show their good sides, neither of them were people that I would want to be friends with.

At 57% the book took quite a gruesome turn, and turned into more of a horror novel which I totally wasn’t expecting! There were actually quite a few gory scenes that I really didn’t appreciate.

There is also quite a lot of religious talk in this book. Obviously it takes place in a church, and there are loads of sayings and stuff from the bible littered about, and quite a bit about different saints and stuff. I can’t say that I was over impressed by all this. I’m not overly religious, and the religious undertones just didn’t do it for me. I didn’t read this book expecting to have to wade through religious mumbo-jumbo.

The one good thing about this book was the fact that the author used the phrase ‘I couldn’t care less’ correctly. So often people say ‘I could care less’ – if you could care less, that means that you care!! Thank you to the author for actually using this phrase correctly!

Overall; I’m sure other people will enjoy this book but I personally was not a fan.
4 out of 10.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessed.

09/28/2012 page 52
09/28/2012 page 248
57.0% "Okay, this is becoming a horror show! Ick!"
show 4 hidden updates…