Megan's Reviews > Cybele's Secret

Cybele's Secret by Juliet Marillier

Jan 05, 09

bookshelves: all-time-favorites

After reading (and loving) Wildwood Dancing I was afraid Cybele's Secret would fall flat for me. However, while different in many ways from its predecessor, it was still a fantastic read.

I've come to realize that I love reading books that feature an out-of-the-ordinary setting, and Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret both deliver in this area. I felt Cybele's Secret delved a bit more into the background and culture of Istanbul than Wildwood Dancing did with its setting of Transylvania, but I think the setting of Cybele's Secret was more important to the plot, too. I loved learning about Istanbul and felt like I was getting a bit of a history lesson in addition to a great fantasy read.

I also loved the differences in the storylines of the two books. While Wildwood Dancing felt more like a fairy tale fantasy, Cybele's Secret read more like of a combination of fantasy and Indiana Jones. I also enjoyed the characters in both novels. Both Jena and Paula were strong characters that had to face important and often difficult decisions and ultimately learn something from those decisions.

A great read and highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cybele's Secret.