Nate's Reviews > What I Talk About When I Talk About Running

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami

Jan 16, 09

Read in January, 2009

Obviously a memoir by a novelist about running will be of most interest to those whose personal Venn diagrams overlap one of those two circles, but I think even to those who don't fit those categories (or who have only read HM's fiction) said book would prove worthwhile. As someone who is coming to terms with his own aging and decreased athletic potential, I found his musings and hard-won lessons about same meaningful and instructive. To wit: "In most cases learning something essential in life requires physical pain." Along similar lines (regarding the increased effort required to keep fit): "I'm getting to the age where you really do get what you pay for."
But beyond incisive observations on exercise, there are even more general ones on life. I think this was one of my favorite; I thought of it as I went out to run over lunch instead of eating inside with my co-workers: "Emotional hurt is the price a person has to pay to be independent."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.