Eileen's Reviews > How Angel Peterson Got His Name

How Angel Peterson Got His Name by Gary Paulsen

Jan 05, 09

bookshelves: ya-memoir

Definitely, the adult in me was laughing at Angel Peterson. I was chuckling out loud while reading this book. My favorite story was when the boys went to the tent revival meeting and threw crab apples on the roof to mimic the “footsteps of God” just as the preacher was saying those words. When Orvis is caught, he inexplicably gives Archie’s name and that makes for even more trouble. As is his custom, Orvis devises his own punishment, which is much worse than what Archie had in store for him! Orvis was my favorite character. His encounter with the bear was equally hysterical and terrifying. What boys will do to get the attention of a girl!
I enjoyed reading Paulson’s “A Note of Caution”. I was expecting the standard wording about don’t try this at home, but Paulson is quite clever in his approach. He notes that they would have worn safety gear if it had been available, but ends by saying “…none of what we did should be done by anybody except heavily insured, highly trained professionals under adult supervision on closed courses with ambulances, doctors and MedEvac choppers standing by”. I also thought teens would like how Paulson would compare his antics to the extreme sports of today. For example, Harris’s exploits with tractor tires are described as “what might have been the first bungee jump.”
The cover illustration and wording might attract younger teens to this book. My 13 year old son picked up Angel Peterson and read most of it in one sitting. He really enjoyed it since it is “all about 13 year old boys”. He also let me know that the world speed record on skis is much faster today. I laughed and said please don’t get any ideas about trying to break that record

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Angel Peterson Got His Name.