Cyberpope's Reviews > A Spell for Chameleon

A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

U 50x66
Sep 23, 12

My review of the 100+ books in the Xanth series(Yes, I've read them all)

This is, by far, the best of all of them.

Xanth is a magical land(seems to be in Florida somewhere) where every citizen, by law, must have some sort of msgic talent.

In this first one we're introduced to the main character, Bink, appears to have no magic talent, so is about to be exiled.

There's more to his seeming lack of talent than first appears.

Along the way we meet a few more characters who will be central to the whole series.

As well, we get introduced to some of the key idiosyncracies of Xanth(eg. filled with PUNS!), & some of the overall characters)such as Sorcerers who fit into a few encompassing categories they arer sovereign within, such as Humphries & his ability to answer any question(for a fee of 3 months' service to him) & species(humans, fauns, nymphs, nightmares, et al), & various geographical aspects(the chasm that nobody can remember or think of, slowsand regions, gourds(take you into the Dream universe) etc.)

These features & characters are all explained throughout the series, in their own time.

Anthony continues(or began?) his habit of personal letters to the reader in afterwords in every novel here.

In one he explains his Xanth formula:
Add one new character in each novel, & build a story around him/her plus their interaction with the prior main characters; often it involves a Quest done for &/or with Humphries.
Mix in innumerable puns (many submitted by readers)

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spell for Chameleon.