Antof9's Reviews > Girls' Poker Night

Girls' Poker Night by Jill A. Davis

Jan 05, 09

bookshelves: 2004-read, chicklit, good-for-decking, junk-food, trashy-is-as-trashy-does
Read in April, 2004

If you liked "Good in Bed", you'll probably like this too.

This is a pretty entertaining book about a writer who hides behind humor and makes changes rather than facing life issues (e.g.,new job/move to New York instead of breaking up with her boyfriend). On page 1, she writes, "Imagine settling for a life you can have because you don't have the courage to go after the life you really want. That's what made me do it -- make one of those decisions -- the kind that bends your future in a whole new direction."

Once she moves to New York, Ruby gets together with her friends on a weekly basis -- usually at her own house -- to play poker. Friends are Skorka, a model ("Skorka drinks tequila directly from the bottle. It's the kind of thing you can do when you're a model. When you're a model, drinking hard liquor out of a bottle doesn't seem depressing or like you might need to get yourself into a program."), Lily, who later discovers she's a lesbian (although she starts by saying that she's "bi" as a transition phase), Danielle ("she's been divorced for a little more than a year and is making up for lost time by saying yes to whomever asks."), Meg and Jenn.

It's light reading, and enjoyable. And of course, there's a section for the book-lovers:
"The Cadaver is in my apartment, digging through boxes. I am doing the unthinkable. I am giving away some old books. I cannot stand to give away books. But I want more books, and to make room for more books, I have to get rid of some books. I know the Cadaver will take care of them."

"'Don't show them to me -- just take them. I feel guilty enough as it is,' I say. They are whimpering, scared kittens being separated."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls' Poker Night.