Amy's Reviews > You Are the Love of My Life

You Are the Love of My Life by Susan Richards Shreve

Sep 22, 12

Read in September, 2012

1973 was a year full of turbulence, the Watergate scandal, Roe v. Wade, rising divorce rates and cultural upheaval, yet this issues are merely national events to Lucy Painter, children’s book illustrator, and single mother to Maggie and Felix in Susan Richards Shreve’s latest novel, You Are the Love of My Life. Lucy is facing her own turmoil. After years of living in New York City drawing and sharing clandestine meetings with her married editor and the father of her children, Lucy decides to move to Washington DC. Lucy plans to take up residence in the house that her parents rented out when she was child, the very house in which she discovered her father’s body after he had committed suicide. Having lived her life based on lies, deceptions, and half truths, Lucy finds herself somewhat cut off and detached from others, yet her new neighbors seem intent on drawing Lucy into their insular world. In particular, her neighbor August Russ is extremely interested in the history of her house, and Zee, the self appointed leader of the women on the street, is deeply enthralled by Lucy’s daughter Maggie. Lucy begins to see that her avoidance of truth has led to shame and has cut her off from engagement with others. While the title and description may lead readers to believe that this is a light, breezy read it is in fact a beautifully written novel that examines the complexities of human nature, the ramifications of decisions, and impact of honesty in relationships. Readers will be drawn to the highly developed characters and will keep turning pages to discover their fates. You Are the Love of My Life is a novel that deserves wide readership.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are the Love of My Life.