Tabby - Shattered Hearts Reviews's Reviews > Taking on the Dead

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: kindle-books-i-own
Read in October, 2012

See this review & more @Insightful Minds

The first thing that we all need to stop and appreciate about this book is the cover. Yes, the cover. Why? Well, because it is pretty much awesome. Seriously. You have a chick with a deadly weapon.. what could be more awesome than that?! Count.Me.In. I've recently become a huge fan of Zombie books, (I mean really, who DOESN'T want to know what the word is eventually going to come to?!) & I couldn't be more happier without the outcome of Taking on the Dead. From just the opening alone, I knew I was going to love this book.

Let's start with Kansas.. Kansas Sunshine to be exact. I am completely and totally in LOVE with this name. Kudos to Annie for taking the unique route with this one. (: Given her current state of affairs, Kansas is one strong willed, determined, epically awesome Cross Bow Wielding chick. Yes. Cross Bow. Every girl should earn one. Now. After all, when you are pretty much trying to save yourself against the ever present Zombie People - you would have to have her frame of mind.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Blood is pounding in my ears. Lingering smoke and tequila fill my nostrils as adrenaline courses through my veins. My lips curl into a smile. The only thing that would make this night more perfect is if I had killed some zombies.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Years after she has gone into hiding, Kansas goes and ventures out into a world that she is no longer familiar with & like the synopsis states, it is nothing like she expected it to be. It's then that she meets Rudy. (I also feel the need to mention that I totally love his name too!) With a heart the size of Texas & a demeanor that just screams "I will take care of you," I instantly like him. Like any normal person, he has his own past & he is full of his own secrets. You couldn't help but instantly be drawn to him. He's the type of hero that your inner cheerleader JUMPS into action to cheer for.

The flow of this book seemed almost effortless, each transition more smooth than the last. I loved how this story was a "keep you on the edge of your seat" kind of story. Just when I thought I knew were things were headed, Annie changed it up on me! One thing I do feel that I need to mention is secondary characters. Everyone book has them, but not every book can shine with them. Let me get you familiar with the name of Mac. If you haven't read Taking on the Dead yet, when you do, be sure to watch for that name.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“My neighbors have long since left, or they are dead. Some I killed. It was either kill or be eaten alive, which is not on my top-ten list of ways to die.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The fact that this is a Trilogy completely rocks my life. I have some questions that I am hoping the next books answer && I am eagerly awaiting to see where Annie takes us with this Zombie Adventure. If you are a fan of Zombies & over all awesomeness; then you should def pick up Taking on the Dead.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking on the Dead.