Xysea 's Reviews > Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why

Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman

191578
Sep 20, 07

bookshelves: non-fiction, book-on-home-shelf

I enjoyed this book from many perspectives.

I enjoyed reading about a fundamentalist who actually saw the light and understood the Bible, like the Constitution, was intended to be a living document - not a frozen one.

And that the whole purpose of Christianity, in Jesus, was to foment change in how people viewed the things they previously believed were absolutes as well (Laws of Moses).

As an aside, I had been down this road before. I took a course in college called the New Testament as Literature. The instructor, a lay preacher, taught us how to study the text to find the changes, to analyze the inconsistencies and 'errors' in the Gospels. It was one of my favorite courses, and I learned a lot about textual criticism.

Anyway, I am no fundamentalist. But I do enjoy lit, crit and history, so I found this all in all a slightly dry yet compelling read.

I recommend it if you're into early Christianity or historical documents, or if you've just always been curious as to the origins of the Bible etc.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misquoting Jesus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric_W (new) - added it

Eric_W This is one of the few by Ehrman I have yet to read. He's very good. You might be interested in When Jesus Became God The Struggle to Define Christianity during the Last Days of Rome.

Kenny Bell PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointing readers where to look this up. And it was also weird to me that if we dont have the original bible then what did they use to translate to English?

message 3: by Eric_W (last edited Jan 17, 2012 03:05PM) (new) - added it

Eric_W Kenny wrote: "PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointin..."

You might want to look at Ehrman's Lost Christianities: The Battles for Scripture & the Faiths We Never Knew which develops his arguments further. To say the "original bible" is somewhat misleading since even today there is no agreement on just what books constitute the "bible" each sect/denomination having a different content, not to mention multiple translations. For example the Roman Catholic Church has a different content than the Russian Orthodox, the traditional Protestant has 66 while the Ethiopian Orthodox has 81. According to the Wikipedia "The oldest surviving Christian Bibles are Greek manuscripts from the 4th century." That's when the Bible as known to the Roman Catholic Church was agreed upon at the Council of Nicea in 325 CE. It's also when the issue of the Trinity was battled out extensively detailed in the book I cited above. It was a very political decision that resulted in what Arius believed to be considered heresy.( See a shorter explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Co...)

Judging from your profile you seem to specialise in making this comment on many reviewers comments. Perhaps you should consider reading the book yourself; it would require much less effort and be much more enlightening.