Angela's Reviews > These Is My Words

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Sep 20, 11

bookshelves: historical, for-kirsten, home-family, love-or-romance, audio-book, read-in-2010, west-frontier, favorites
Recommended to Angela by: Jeanette
Read from September 15 to 19, 2011

THIRD READ: 9/15/11
This needs to be a movie!

FIRST READ: 3/8/10 - 3/10/10

This book is AMAZING!

It was strongly recommended to me almost 2 years ago as a book that I must absolutely read. I finally checked it out, but honestly it just didn't sound that great. GoodReads had thousands of reviews and ratings and the average is still 4.5 out of 5. And still I was hesitant to pick it up. I listened to the audio book and instead of listening while I cleaned, I finally just sat down and listened to the words. It's the kind of writing that made me want to "read" passages out loud to whoever was in the room with me. I want to buy my own copy of the book just so I can mark all those great passages ... although, I think the book would be more marked than unmarked by the time I finished!

THESE IS MY WORDS is not the kind of book that is "exciting" or full of action or adventure that you then thrust into the hands of the person nearest you and proclaim that they must read this book. In fact, a little way into the story I was interested in what was going on and what would happen next but I was also wondering what was so "amazing" about this book that it had such high ratings and reviews. But as I kept listening to the story of Sarah Prine in the Arizona Territory of the late 1800's I was slowly and completely wrapped into the words and needing (not just wanting) to know what happened next. It happened so subtley that I didn't realize it happened until I was listening in any stitch of time I could find, even when I probably should have been paying attention to other things instead of listening to an audio book.

I would strongly recommend listening to this book on CD rather than reading it - the reader is INCREDIBLE! It was like going to listen to a 1-woman stage show. She is so talented and it brought the story to life. My husband teased me because sometimes when he'd ask me a question while I was listening to the book, I'd have a little twang in the way I answered the question. At one point I even started throwing in some odd words and phrases from the book because I was so immersed in Sarah's world. It was like Sarah was me and this was my story and I needed to know what was going to happen to me next! But not because our experiences are the same -- although it's amazing how universal life is and how women go through the same things and have the same conversations across all walks of life and time.

READ THIS BOOK!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Is My Words.

Quotes Angela Liked

Nancy E. Turner
“I might like to have someone courting me. But it would have to be someone who is a square shooter and who has a train load of courage. And it would have to be someone who doesn't have to talk down to folks to feel good, or to tell a person they are worthless ifthey just made a mistake. And he'd have to be not too thin. Why, I remember hugging [my brother] Ernest was like warpping your arms around a fence post,and I love Ernest, but I want a man who can hold me down in a wind. Maybe he'd have to be pretty stubborn. I don't have any use for a man that isn't stubborn. Likely a stubborn fellow will stay with you through thick and thin, and a spineless one will take off, or let his heart wander.”
Nancy E. Turner, These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901

Nancy E. Turner
“And he likes to torment me, and laughs when I get upset when he does. No, of course not. I do not love Jack Elliot. He is low and coarse and a soldier, and not the kind of man I want to spend my life with.”
Nancy E. Turner, These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901

Nancy E. Turner
“I said, Well, looks like he's pretty ornery. I wonder where he gets it?

"Jack just shrugged and kissed my cheek, and then whispered in my ear, He gets it from his mother.”
Nancy E. Turner, These Is My Words

Nancy E. Turner
“Taking up marriage is a good excuse for taking up cursing, I think.”
Nancy E. Turner, These Is My Words

03/09/2010 "Disc 5 - "Any other man who comes around me better be carryin' a pistol with one more bullet than I've got or I'll have the last word!""
03/10/2010 "Disc 6 - "I don't want to be married to someone just because he thinks I could make a good wife. I know I would make a good wife!""
03/10/2010 "Disc 9-"It seems that I am bound to love this character forever ... I just hope and pray I can put up with him for the next 50 years or so.""
03/10/2010 "Disc 10 - "Oh I never set my cap for you. You just followed me around like a bird dog till I couldn't do anything *but* marry you.""