jo's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Apr 10, 10

bookshelves: psychic-pain, great-britain, disability, kids
Recommended for: linda
Read in January, 2009

this book rocked my world, and i've been trying for weeks to understand why. here it is:

* because the plot is flawless

* because the voice is flawless

* because it's amazingly tender without being cute

* because there's a christopher boone in me, and a christopher boone in everyone i love or at least try to get along with

* because the christopher boone in me loves to see itself written about lovingly, like it's the coolest kid, if not on the block (it will never be the coolest kid on the block), at least in the annals of literature

* because the christopher boone in those i love or at least try to get along with is telling me, "be patient; please, be patient; i'm doing the best i can"

* because i understand this plea, since it's a plea i issue myself like 230 times a day

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer (aka EM) jo, for me ... there's something of Christopher Boone in Oscar Wao.

:-)

message 2: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo really?????????????? the whole world is conspiring in sending me back to that damn book! :-)

message 3: by Jennifer (aka EM) (last edited Jun 04, 2010 03:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer (aka EM) would I lie to you?!?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica i thought this book was great! and ive been wanting to read oscar wao. if im not totally encumbered this semester, its gonna happen. :)

message 5: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian I completely agree with all your points.

The voice is flawless. The audiobook rocked my world. It made my drives to and from work tolerable.

You better get used to Oscar. I hear the movie will be out in a couple years. They may even adapt it to the stage. Look what they've done to Fight Club and Coraline.

message 6: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo did you like oscar, christian?

message 7: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian I did. I liked it's narration. I enjoyed the comic book/video game/ 80's/90's references, and most of the obscurities laced throughout. I enjoyed the struggle of the footnotes. It got to me on a bunch of levels. But, and I don't know why, when I think of the total experience of the novel it's not "OH I LOVED IT!" It's more, "Damn, he did a great job on that. Can't wait to read that novel he's writing about werewolves."

message 8: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo hahahahaha.

are you working on a novel on werewolves, christian?

message 9: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian I wish! If I do, look out Oscar Wao!

Cecily Avoiding cuteness is a good point that I hadn't consciously registered, but you're absolutely right. It could easily have been ruined by being too sentimental.

Michael your review made me cry. what a beautiful way of explaining it.

message 12: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo awww. thank you so much, michael.

message 13: by Kaziar (new) - added it

Kaziar Rawls Your review is the one that sent me over the edge of wanting to read it. I got chills and all it is is a list of reasons! Great convincing review!

message 14: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo that's a great compliment, kaziar. thank you so much. hope you enjoy it as much as i did.