Codie Gates's Reviews > The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963

The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis

Sep 22, 12

bookshelves: 2012-goal, education, civil-rights
Read in September, 2012

I cannot even count the number of times I laughed out loud at this book! I loved Kenny's voice and speech. While the book was light hearted and easy to read, there was a place near the end when we really feel the weight of the Civil Rights Movement and hatred towards African Americans. Yet, it was only a blip in the overall story. If you ask me, the "Weird Watson" seem like a great family!

For the first part of the book, before the family takes the infamous trip to Birmingham, Kenny goes through a lot of different things: being teased and called Cockeye, dealing with bullies, loosing a majority of his dinosaurs, and making friends with Rufus.

I want to say that book was slow to start, not in the I-can't-get-into-this slow, but that the events took place in a slow manner. Then as the family began their trip to see Grandma Sands in Birmingham, everything went quickly, almost like the author wanted to get the book finished as soon as possible. It seems like the two halves do not belong in the same book. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book very much and would recommend it to any student, but I might have written it a little differently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nicole Holden I just finished reading the book, and I absolutly loved it. It is comical as well as heart breaking. I agree with you about the two halves seem like they don't belong in the same book. I loved how the book starts off with the teasing and bullying. I would recomment this book to a student as well.