Amanda's Reviews > Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Aug 10, 07

Read in August, 2007

This book was an incredible eye-opener for me. The book can be a little difficult to wade through because of all the facts and figures, but it is well worth it. I recommend the audio book version if you prefer not to read all the numbers.

What I really loved about this book was that it wasn't just a laundry-list of the reasons fast-food is bad for your health. The book discusses the impacts of the fast food industry from every point of view: how it's changed American culture, how it's driven small family-owned restaurants out of business, how animals suffer before becoming your lunch, how workers at the meat packing plants all the way up to the restaurants themselves are exploited, and how fast food chains are the perfect conduit to transmit all sorts of food-borne illnesses quickly and efficiently across the nation. It was a true eye-opener for me.

Even if you are happily a meat-eater and don't consider yourself an animal-rights activist or "health-nut", you should take the time to read this book. It will give you food for thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fast Food Nation.