Steven's Reviews > Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook: Strategies, Recipes, and Techniques of Classic Bistro Cooking

Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony Bourdain

Mar 25, 07

It's well written, but a lousy cookbook.

Does that make sense? It does to me. And I've TRIED to make his food. Pelé help me: I've tried. But some of them are just fricking impossible.

Take rillettes. Wonderful food. Absolutely delicious. His recipe makes them sound as good as they are.

I double dog dare anyone who has no previous experience with charcuterie to figure out what the H he is actually talking about. His steps are so vague as to be almost useless.

My wife's gramma used to give barely coherent recipes. My wife loved her, so she put up with this. Me? It drove me bonkers. I don't dispute that Les Halles has great prototypical French food- it's amazing stuff. Their escargot made me a fan of that dish. But the recipes here are not all created equal.

If you're buying this book to learn how to cook French like the masters, you would be better served by sticking with Mrs. Child. If you are a fan of Bourdain (and who isn't? He's like Kerouac in the kitchen) it's worth a read. He's obscene, funny, and sarcastic. User friendly? Not as much as I would prefer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook.