Jason's Reviews > Flesh & Bone

Sep 22, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, e-books
Read on September 22, 2012

4.5 Stars

“”‘He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster,’””

Flesh and Bone, book 3 of the Benny Imura series was one of my most anticipated reads for 2012 by one of my favorite authors. I am not really that big into young adult fiction, but when an amazing horror author like Maberry puts a zombie series to life, it is sure one not to be missed. The story of the two brothers Benny and Tom through the first two books found many of the main plot lines closed up by book two’s end, and a few more brought to life. This book picks up right after the end of the last. Without any series spoilers I will review the rest.

I loved the action and the relationships that have been built up through books one and two, but in this one, we gain very little additional insight into our young heroes. A major plot point from book two paints much of the understory of this one, to the point where many other things are overshadowed. This was the worst thing for me to deal with as I really felt that it lessened the overall feel of the series. That being said, Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong all continue to grow up as young adults as the horrors around them mold them into the heroes that they are. Flesh and Bone has a few additional interesting characters added to the cast too. Saint John of the knife, Mother Rose, Joe, and my favorite, the zombie killing dog named Grimm.
The foreword by Maberry is both poignant and pertinent to our story and I often thought back to his words that started this book. Loss, pain, and the way one deals with it are the major themes of this book, and each of our heroes has their own way.

“It was why Lilah did not fear death. So many of the people she loved were waiting for her there.
Lilah kept walking along the muddy bank of the stream, but she slowed and then stopped completely. The path ahead of her was invisible now. It was not hidden by shadows, and it had not petered out as loose soil gave way to hard rock. No, it was simply that Lilah couldn’t see a thing through the hot tears that boiled from her eyes and burned their way down her cheeks.”

Possible spoiler ahead:

““Was it like this for you, Tom? he wondered. Was this what you felt when you carried me out of Sunset Hollow on First Night? If you were really the coward I used to think you were, you would have run off and left me. Wouldn’t you? You would have saved yourself. Alone, without having to carry me, it would have been easier for you to slip away. But you didn’t. You carried me all the way.
Was it a memory? Or now that Benny stood at death’s fragile door, was it easier for Tom’s ghost to whisper to him from the darkness on the other side?
Benny, whispered Tom, I didn’t die to save you.
“I know that, Einstein,” Benny growled back as he ran.
No—listen! I didn’t die to save you.
A zom fell into the ravine directly in front of them, and the little girl screamed even louder. But Benny leaped over the awkward form before the zom could struggle to its feet.
I lived to save you, said Tom. I lived.””

The pain and emotion and the emotionally touching scenes are all the best in this third book. There is less action and a smaller scope in this one, but that is ok too. Many of the Benny and Nix scenes are standouts, as well as the scenes involving the new character Joe and his kick ass dog Grimm. Chong however stole the show for me. The least warrior like of the bunch makes many incredibly difficult and brave decisions that show just what it means to be heroic. His interactions with Riot were fabulous.

I have really enjoyed the adventures in this series so far, even though I was taken aback at the end of book two. Hopefully when the final book comes out I will not be feeling that things should have gone differently. This is a fantastic heartfelt young adult series that takes place in a post-apocalyptic land of the undead. It will be loved and enjoyed by readers of all ages. Jonathan Maberry is one of my very favorite authors of today, and one that should not be missed…My highest recommendations!!!

““‘And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.’””

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flesh & Bone.

09/22/2012 page 55
12.0% "One of my most anticipated reads that will end way too fast :("