Jaimie's Reviews > Prague Counterpoint

Prague Counterpoint by Bodie Thoene

Jan 23, 09

Read in January, 2009

SPOILER ALERT!! DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE ENDING!!

Gotta say, I did NOT like the ending on this one. I mean, don't get me wrong (spoiler) the story ended happily, but there wasn't as much to it as I expected. The authors did an EXCELLENT job telling the history of Hitler's whole silent world takeover strategy and propaganda pre-WWII. They had me on the EDGE of my seat for the story of Charles and Louis trying to make it to safety. And the misunderstood love story between Elisa and Murphy had so much drama and tension that I could hardly stand it! But then the end skips over all the details (the good parts) of how the day is saved and when Murphy and Elisa finally fall in love and just kind of tidies it all up by a few short paragraphs of "the bullet misses the Czech president, Murphy is in the right place at the right time to catch Sporer, Elisa gets the love letter, all is forgiven, Elisa and Murphy are in love". I need more than that. I need last minute, desperate decisions with Murphey flinging himself, all that he has left, at the aweful Sporer who you can imagine, at that point, almost escaping (God forbid!) and dragging Murphy and Elisa into a final pit of utter despair. And I need to see Elisa return home with Murphy, not knowing or understanding everything that had happened that day. I need them both choked up with too many words to say. I need to see her eye catch the unopened letter in which Murphy had poured out his heart. I need uncomfortable, awkward silence until...finally! The truth is revealed and they are so overwhelmed they can hardly even move toward each other. You know? The end was more like, "I love you. I love you too." Great.

Anyway, it was some of the best written, most historically accurate fiction I'd read. Until the end.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prague Counterpoint.