Rachel's Reviews > The Dancer from the Dance

The Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran

Jun 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read in June, 2012

To start with, I had this book on my to-read shelf for at least 15 years (I cannot remember when I bought it within a 5 year period.) I carried it over the course of several moves, one of which was to another country. At some point, I realized it was the oldest book on the to-read shelf. I decided that now really was the time to read it or get rid of it.

I will be keeping this book for the next 15 years. It is as the reviews claim: beautifully written, evocative, and hilarious. I laughed on the train while reading it. I read portions of it out loud to my boyfriend, because those portions were so keenly observed. I gushed to friends about the lushness of the prose.

I would give this book 4.5 stars, with the only irritant that the narrator was never really identified. Or if they were, I didn't figure it out. I suppose it wasn't entirely necessary - if anything, the narrator was a Mary Sue there to faithfully report entire conversations - but it annoyed me.

I need to go push this book into a friend's hands and demand they read it immediately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dancer from the Dance.