Kirsty Vizard's Reviews > Cursed

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout

3203304
Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: couldn-t-put-down, escape-lit, ya, fantasy, romance
Read in September, 2012

So, I wanted some comfort reading and who better to turn to than Jennifer L Armentrout? And the lady did me proud!! I devoured 'Cursed' in one sitting and loved it! (Hayden helped LOL!!)
This book has an uncomfortable plot . . .a five year old girl who can bring people and animals back from the dead?! . . It isn't a zombie book though, honest! . . . Olivia was able to bring her elder sister Ember back from the dead during a car crash which killed their father, now Ember is 'cursed' with the 'gift' to cause pain to or kill anyone she comes into contact with skin-to-skin.
After Ember accidentally kills one of her classmates and she, her mum and Olivia are moved to a new home she discovers they are 'gifted' and Hayden offers to help her control her power . . . .
Ember is a kick-ass female protagonist who is flawed but this makes her vulnerable and human; she has cared for her sister, her mum and herself whilst overseeing their gifts; housekeeping, school and dealing with her grief. Jennifer l Armentrout has written about her with sensitivity and I felt more connected with her than any other of the author's characters.
Hayden is interesting - he is hot and romantic and for the most part lovely to read about, but then he has a flip side! I was confused as to which emotion to feel towards Hayden until nearer the end of the book when his past is revealed.
Jennifer L Armentrout has used her gift of writing to create some bold and fascinating characters - some of whom are just tolerable!
This was a captivating story with a delicately woven plot, which held me from the very first page, the fantasy/romance element is not new but Jennifer L Arementrout has a way of writing which made 'Cursed' début on a whole new level. I am very thankful I needed some comfort reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cursed.