Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)'s Reviews > The Angel

The Angel by Tiffany Reisz

Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: arc, emotional, favorites, literary-fiction, lgbt, romance, erotic, contemporary, bdsm
Read from September 01 to 03, 2012

Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/09/arc-review-winners-choice-giveaway.html

YES!!!!!!!! You know what, as much as I may have loved it, screw 50 Shades of Grey. This is the book that people should be insanely hyped about. Reisz is absolutely brilliant. The Siren was so amazing, but she managed to make the sequel even better. Reisz is not afraid to go there and I loved every minute of it.

The story starts about a year where The Siren left off. Things are going great between Nora and Soren, until he is up to become bishop. An anonymous fax was sent to s reporter named Suzanne that told her she needs to investigate Soren (Father S) due to a conflict of interest. So Soren sends Nora and Michael away while he deals with the reporter. While separated, both Nora and Soren have to deal with a lot of their problems specifically their pasts. Nora may be fighting it, but she is still torn up about Wesley. And Soren may be scary, but it is nothing compared to how he became to be.

This is going to be another one of those hard reviews for me. It is so good, I just don't know where to begin. Nora is still as wild as ever, but she still has feelings for Wesley. She is afraid to admit it. While her and Michael are over at Griffin's house showing Michael the ropes (in more ways than one), she is trying to figure out how she feels. But that doesn't mean Nora will wallow. She is still as strong as ever. I absolutely love Wesley and I am glad we got him in this book. We see that he is a little lost and broken up over Nora. But don't worry, Reisz gave us fans something to rejoice in.

My favorite characters in this book were Griffin and Michael. Griffin is definitely book-boyfriend worthy. We had a taste of him in the first book and here we get a lot more. I loved him. I loved his instant liking to Michael. At first, I thought it was just him being horny, but it is something much more than that. I loved how he (and Nora, but mainly Griffin) help break Michael's shell. He goes from being a shy and broken guy to someone with a backbone. And all due to Griffin. I honestly could have had an entire book just focused on these two. Griffin's personality is more than enough to fill up an entire book.

Then we have Soren. Oh Soren. Like many have said, Soren scared the crap out of me. But I was very intrigued and excited to hear that we get to learn more about him. Through the journalist, Suzanne, who has her own personal demons specifically against priests, I was scared that she would find out about Soren's tastes. But through a lot of digging, we find that Soren's past is complete torture. You don't know suffering until you learn about Soren and his family. It explains a lot. Not to mention the things he has done to protect them. I won't spoil it for you, but it is frightening to say the least.

I loved how this story progressed and how much time we get to spend with these characters. This book will make you crazy. I loved seeing the change in Michael and the strength he got from Griffin. Best thing was learning about Soren's past. I honestly had a hard time picturing him as a child to be honest, but this book did show he was indeed human. We also see the man is insanely brilliant. Between him and Nora, it is a wonder anyone can survive the two of them. I loved the attraction between Soren and Suzanne. It really jumped off the page. But even with the investigation going on, I loved that even though Soren doesn't help her restore her faith, she has regained some kind of trust.

Goodness, there are not enough words in the English language to describe this book. It has everything I could want and more. I love how comfortable I have become reading this sort of stuff because I avoided BDSM like the plague. But like I said, the focus isn't on sex. There is so much complexity with these characters and their families. We even finally meet Nora's mother and well...I wouldn't have seen that coming even if my life depended on it. But I like how that went down. Learning what shaped them into who they are was an amazing experience. I found myself hanging on every word. I was so lost in this story and by the time I got to the end...goodness, just no words! Oh and talk about an ending! Seriously, Soren may scare me, but now I fully understand why Nora loves him so much. Dammit, I do too and I am not ashamed of it. That ending will knock your socks off. Buy this book, not rent it, buy it! I promise you will be reading this again and again. Reisz is like freaking Picasso just with pen and paper. Brilliant, just brilliant!

Some favorite quotes:

One of the resident old bats had been going on about the abomination of sodomy. Nora had patted the woman on the back and said, "If it's an abomination, it's because you are doing it wrong. Bear down hard, then relax. It'll fit better." - Nora to church ladies

"Virgins have probably been ritually sacrificed on these bookshelves."
"Wouldn't that be kind of awkward?"
"We'll figure it out. Here, hop on the top shelf, Purity Ring. I'll get the butter knife." - Nora and Wesley

"We value the most what we must sacrifice to have." - Soren

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel.