Marguerite's Reviews > Andorra

Andorra by Peter Cameron

Feb 05, 09

bookshelves: contemporary-fiction
Read in February, 2009

A lovely little book about escape -- in every sense of the word. Alexander Fox moves to Andorra to escape tragedy, not realizing that attitudes and values (and the sum of all we do) are some of the baggage that inevitably moves with us. The cast of characters with whom he interacts in Andorra is interesting. The quality of the writing is lovely:
"It was that odd time of day when the light goes all soft and benevolent. ... And something about the combination of the light and the champagne and the height and the perfumed evening air intoxicated me. I was suddenly overcome with a sort of fizzy and debilitatingly stupid happiness. An external happiness, a site-specific happiness. ... I suppose this is why we travel, why we pack trunks and book berths, why we visit cathedrals and castles ... assuring ourselves that the certified magnificence of what we see somehow includes or involves us, and we soak it all in, only to have it leak from us as we sleep between freshly laundered hotel sheets."
This was one of the New York Times' 100 notable books for 1997. It caught my eye because of my own interaction with real Andorrans once upon a time. But Peter Cameron's Andorra is fictional. I'll look for more of his books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Andorra.