Keith's Reviews > The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum

Jan 05, 2009

did not like it

In reviewing "American Psycho," all the other reviews from folks who said they wished the book did not exist struck a chord within me. AP never affected me that strongly, but I knew there was a book I felt that way about...oh yes!!! GIRL NEXT DOOR.

I wish this book did not exist. I wish all the people associated with its publishing had never been born. I almost considered ending my friendship with the guy who lent it to me just because I did not want to know a person who owned it, and that guy happened to be one of my best friends. I am not exaggerating. This book is fetishistic garbage disguised as true crime fiction.

I am less of a person for having read it, and I can say that about no other book I have ever read. I hate myself for remembering that I ever read it at all.
28 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Next Door.

02/07 marked as: read

Angelique fernandez yes it's really sickening to read this but it is not "disguised" as true crime fiction. It really happened in real life, Jack Ketchum just dramatized or relieved the story. I kind of applaud him because somehow he pulled it off. I suppose the next time around you will say, "I hope people who killed the poor victim didn't exist".

message 2: by S. (new)

S. A strangely enlightening review - feeling "like less of a person" for having read this book. I surely will skip this. I think you should stop being friends with the guy who lent you the book. Maybe he did it on purpose.

Nicki Fellenzer I have to disagree with the review. I was sickened reading this book, but not because it was poorly written or somehow gratuitous, but because it was based on true events.

The book is actually very well written, very poignant in its description of the psychological effects of having witnessed such horrors and a very effective exploration of the groupthink mentality that led to the tragic end.

Disturbing? Yes. Horrifying? Yes. Vivid? Yes.

But in no way is it "fetishistic garbage."

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I still say the author of American Psycho needs Jesus but Jack Ketchum is a very good writer and the subject matter made the story hard to take but we took it with a grain of salt and have to admit it was a good read but you are right the subject matter was way too much.

Charlee Beck If you were expecting true crime fiction and instead opened a work of splatterpunk I can understand your discomfort, but that is YOUR mistake.

message 6: by Keith (last edited Aug 25, 2014 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Keith But...it is true crime, and not splatterpunk. He says right in the afterword where he got the story idea from.