All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Pantomime

Pantomime by Laura Lam

Feb 07, 13

bookshelves: 2013-february-hotp, reviewed-by-julia, earc
Read in February, 2013

The world of Ellada sits poised between two eras, remembering the magic and wonder of the past while groping its way into a modern future. Just as its citizens don’t how much of its past myths are true, so too is the reader left wondering and dreaming, uncertain if there are practical or fantastical forces at work in the story.

That uncertainty is the perfect backdrop for Micah and Gene’s trials, though it made for a bit of a slow start for me. By three chapters in, however, I was hooked. Like many a Paranormal YA hero, these characters are both exceptional and strange. Unlike most, however, the gifts that set them apart will never magically disappear. Much more satisfying and human, however, is the slow growth of self-esteem and discovery that bring these young heroes closer to maturity. Hints of acceptance, myths and stories that give them the hope of role models, their story is all the more powerful for its relateable pain and emotion. This is the story of outsiders, alienated by the gender norms and sexuality of society, though there are hints that their “otherness” has it’s roots in myth and legend. I could be happy with a book that affords them a personal triumph, a life of honesty and love, but it’s clear that their magical nature has oh so much more in store for them.

While the history of Ellada gives context to these characters’ origins, the fantasy elements of PANTOMIME don’t feel like a big part of book one. And surely PANTOMIME must be the start of a series. Lam leaves Micah both better and worse than we first find him, more confident personally while in greater danger than ever before. Touching and poignant, I finished PANTOMIME anxious to be able to pick up book two, to rush to the happily-ever-after these characters deserve.

Sexual Content: Kissing, references to sex, and attempted rape.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pantomime.