Julie's Reviews > Deadly Sting

Mar 21, 13

bookshelves: read-in-2013, favorites
Read from January 02 to 05, 2013

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Gin Blanco and friends are back in Deadly Sting, the eighth book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series. (Holy cow! Eight already?!) I was very pleased with this installment and am happy to say that it was one of my favorite from the series so far. Apart from the first couple of chapters, the entire book takes place over one night and in one location. I found this to be a very clever idea and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Finn convinces Gin to accompany him to a big shin-dig at Ashland’s fancy art museum. Of course, once they are there, all hell breaks loose as the place gets robbed by a large group of Giants. The Giants are lead by a ruthless leader named Clementine and her plan is pretty nifty. The more I read about what was going down, the more impressed I was.

I honestly don’t know why the cream of the crop of Ashland goes to these fancy soirées. I mean, every time they are all together in one place, someone cooks up a plan to kidnap them or kill them or rob them! I mean, c’mon people?! It’s like Murder She Wrote. Why would anyone want to live in Cabot Cove. Someone dies there every week! *grin* Just kidding…mostly. I hope the fanciest members of Ashland keep getting together. It makes for some great stories!

Gin is a little heart-broken in this installment but I was glad to see that she wasn’t too mopey. It would not have suited her and I was pleased to see how Jennifer had Gin deal with her heartache. Gin showed us once again why she is such a strong character. She is so down to earth and truly likeable. Loyal to a fault and willing to do anything that needs doing in order to protect those she cares about. I love to watch her with her friends and family – their banter is so natural.

Finn is always a character I look forward to reading and he did not disappoint in this book. You can’t help but grin when he’s on the page. He’s so full of himself but he, like Gin, would do anything to protect those who cared for. And he is forever adorable with Bria. Speaking of Bria, I enjoyed her in this installment. Often, I want to help her take the stick out of her butt a bit, but it wasn’t there at all this time around. I like this Bria. I like how she is loving and warm towards her sister Gin even though she doesn’t quite agree with Gin’s assassin past/current pastime.

Owen makes me sigh. I didn’t feel like smacking him this time around because he seems to understand that what happened in the last book needed to be done. Doesn’t mean he likes it though and doesn’t mean he forgives Gin but at least he’s more grounded about things a bit. Reading the blurb for book nine, Heart of Venom (due out August 27th 2013) it seems that Owen and Gin are going to be dealing with their feelings for each other and I so can’t wait for that. They really are perfect for one another and I hope they realize it as well as we fans of the series do.

And who the hell is MM Monroe?! OMG the mystery is killing me!

And boo-ya Jonah McAllister!

Deadly Sting continues to prove that Jennifer still has many original and entertaining ideas for this series. And I for one look forward to reading each and every one of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sting.