Meghan's Reviews > The Mysterious Benedict Society

Jan 05, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: kids-books
Read in September, 2009

This story centers around 4 children who are brought together through a mysterious ad that asks for children with extraordinary skills to take test to join a special society.
The children soon realize that they are taking on an even bigger task with the threat of a Dystopian society.
The book explores several complex ideas about society (I guess most books that explore dystopian societies would) but I think the most meaningful message is the power of friendship as the four children who are accustomed to being isolated realize how much they value and trust each other and each individuals' idiosycrancies.
The book is long and definitely for a more mature reader (if you are sharing this one with a child). I think I struggled with sci-fi aspect of it but mostly because it isn't a normal genre for me to read. I am curious to see where the author takes the children in the other books and will hopefully get around to those soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Meghan Chandra wrote: "Interesting....I'm curious. Did you save your copy for me?"

Yep - it is sitting on the church pew.

Meghan Chandra wrote: "Oh, how bless-ed!"

You need religion even if it is from an old church pew that is sitting in my heathen house covered in dust, pet hair, and kid crap.