Chrissie's Reviews > Pioneer Women: Voices from the Kansas Frontier

Pioneer Women by Joanna L. Stratton

Jun 18, 09

bookshelves: history, bio, usa, text-checked, dumped
Read in June, 2009

This book was begun by the author's great grandmother who asked Kansas pioneer women of the latter half of the 19th century to record their early pioneer experiences. These recordings were written many years after the times they depict, when the women were old and wrote of their younger days as pioneer women in Kansas. These written accounts of 800 women are the basis for this book. As a result, the stories told are very detailed and matter of fact, about housing, education, religious beliefs, child rearing, the hardships of the land and climate, etc. Women of this era did not devulge their hearts' secrets. Furthermore the women were those contacted by the author's great grandmother. There are no blacks, native indians, prostitutes, barmaids, etc - so we have a rather select group of women. I in no way want to belittle the book. It is a result of these premises. However the result is rather dry, so not that much fun to read. I didn't finish it b/c I was so enthused to begin another book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pioneer Women.

06/17/2009 page 50
15.67% "How houses were constructed from logs in eastern Kansas made me think of Linkin Logs that I played with as a child. Water witching works!"
06/17/2009 page 65
20.38% "LOTS of details - in other words it is kind of difficult wading through them! Just a warning, but I haven't read much yet."
06/17/2009 page 132
41.38% "A quote: "Ours was a favorite place for social gatherings.We had a nice grove on a creek, that was an ideal place to picnic, and then we..."