Aseel (In My Secret -Book- World)'s Reviews > Morningside

Morningside by Ashley Madau

Oct 17, 12

bookshelves: nov-release
Read from October 15 to 17, 2012

To read this review and others, visit: http://mycrazybookobsession.blogspot.se/

Morningside started off very good, it was very mysterious and held my attention but then things started being confusing instead of mysterious. After the first 30% of the book I just went through the pages confused. We would just jump into a conversation that seems important but I have no idea what they are arguing about.

Morningside started with the heroine attending a wedding with her family where she met vampire Liam and instantly felt attracted to him. He changed her when she followed him out while everybody was busy celebrating the wedding and then took her to live with him and meet his vampire friends, Julian and Gabriela. Just as Julian and the heroine start to bound, Julian is burned under mysterious circumstances. Liam then disappears from the heroines life because he can't control himself around her, leaving her to wander the earth alone, only to come back to him after eighty years.

Most of the characters actions weren't explained. Like, why Liam attended the wedding, why she came back to him, and why he left her in the first place. Oh, and why don't we find out the name of the heroine until the last page of the book? I couldn't bound with any of them, the conversations and the interactions between the characters were really brief, making the characters appear two dimensional to me.

I still don't know why she loved Liam or Julian. The heroines feelings weren't really made clear. I was just supposed to know that she loved them but I didn't feel it, in fact I was surprised when I figured it out. If anything I was annoyed with both men for their actions that I didn't get most of the time.

The author spends most of the book describing places and not what really was going on. Even if the description was beautiful it just took more space that the plot. I could see something in the storyline that kept me reading but if it wasn't as confusing I would have enjoyed the book more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morningside.

10/15/2012 page 60
24.0% "This is looking good!"
10/15/2012 page 100
41.0% "I'm so confused"
10/17/2012 page 188
77.0% "Um... What are they talking about?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ashley Madau Thank you for your review, Aseel! I understand your sentiments, and do take them to heart. I'm sorry my story didn't grip you as it had intended, but I do appreciate your time in reading and writing something up about it.

I'm responding with just one note, because I'm sure you won't be the only one with the question. Yes, I've left my heroine's name hidden until the very end of the book. It was meant to allow the reader to "fill in her shoes" opposed to latching on to a name. If you're familiar with the novel The Historian, the narrators name is left hidden throughout the whole story, so while it's not traditional, I think it's an interesting way to engage the reader. I'm sure others won't appreciate it as well, I just thought I'd make the note.

Thanks again!